Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Old Pencil Box

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download


I recently picked up this old pencil box, because I like old things, boxes, pencils (dont get me started on the Dixon Ticonderoga 1388...) and mysteries. This box is a mix of all four. What really struck me was how similar it was to Roy Underhills grease box.


The sliding dovetail lid reveals a upper storage compartment:


It also unlocks the pivoting mechanism allowing the lower compartment to be reached:


On the underside of the swinging section I found a date - cool!


And its easy to see where some past owner or owners checked their spelling and arithmetic:


Heres the mystery. The bottom isnt really the bottom. It has a full length dovetail that connected something else to this box. What was it? Another level with more storage? Has anyone seen a more complete version?


For one of my next projects, Im going to try to make a reproduction of this box, but Im not sure what to do about the missing section(s). Any ideas?



TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment